Monday, June 1, 2015

Evangelism Day One

First off, sorry my posts have been less frequent. I wrote my last one a couple days before I was able to post it because of the wifi. But now I'm back and am amazed at the work God is doing here. Today was the first day we went out sharing after a couple of days of evangelism training and free time.

Friday night was our closing banquet from the special which was a lot of fun. I had no idea this place was hidden in the city. There was a rooftop garden and a stunning view. Everyone was so full of joy and pretty much just happy the special was over, but also excited for all that they had learned from it.  

Saturday we visited old San German which is beautiful and filled with culture (Mom, you'd love this).  We went to the oldest chapel in the western hemisphere which was so cool. We heard all about the Spanish influence and how San German was a huge influence in the beginning of many other towns in Puerto Rico. I also experienced my first acai bowl which is amazing. Need to find somewhere in Columbus that sells them. The highlight of my Saturday night was no doubt the Puerto Rican minor league baseball game. Talk about craziness. I have never seen such a rowdy crowd. When we walked in it was hilarious because everyone's eyes just shot right to all us white people, whom they call "gringos" here, walking into the stands. Regardless, it was the most entertaining thing I've ever seen. Their playing was pretty terrible, but the fans were hilarious. 

Sunday was a busy, busy day. We started with church in the morning at the base of a mountain outside. The presence of God there never ceases to amaze me. My favorite part hands down is the worship. These people are just so in love with God and they sing songs in Spanish that we know, like Our God by Chris Tomlin, so we can all come together and sing one song to the same God in two different languages at the same time. It brought tears to my eyes. The rest of the day was spent in discipleship and training so I got a chance to meet with Stacey and Danielle. I love discipling because I just love hearing their hearts and their stories and being able to listen and support them in any way that I can. The growth that I have seen in them has been unbelieveable. They are both such beautiful women inside and out and I'm excited to keep meeting with them and encouraging them.

Today I started out with some dance technique and aerials in the morning. I have missed dancing so much. I'm sick of running. So that was certainly my little piece of heaven for the day. Then we had a devotional like we do everyday and we headed out to campuses to share. I went to Interamericana at Aguadilla and at first we were a little apprehensive. It's always like that when you go sharing, but once you start talking to someone it's so easy. Danielle and I talked to two girls today for an hour and a half and it was so rewarding. We started just chatting mostly and then we did Soularium with them which is basically just a tool to help break from general conversation to spiritual conversation. They were both so open and wanted to hear what we had to say and so we got to share the gospel with them. One girl was already saved, but I know it certainly helped clear some things up for her. The other girl accepted Christ what for me was one of the most amazing experiences. I've shared before but I've never actually seen someone accept Christ with me there. All I could think about was that it was such a victory for Heaven. There must have been so much rejoicing going on in Heaven at welcoming home another daughter. What's been so humbling while I've been here is realizing that this isn't about me. None of this is about me. This is about growing others and bringing others to know Jesus and that's something tha needs to stay close to my heart when I get back to Columbus. What better way to follow that up than with a few hours at the beach in the evening. We went to Crashboat Beach where I jumped off the pier and swam and fell asleep on the beach. It was the perfect way to end an incredible day. 

The more I come to know God while I'm here and the more I pursue Him, the more I can feel the enemy trying to get into my head and my heart. Things that shouldn't bother me suddenly are on my mind and eating away at me. So firstly, I would love prayers for Nicole and Rosa, the girls we shared with today that they would let all that we shared with them sink in and that they would be put in contact with people that can help them grow from here. Secondly, I would really appreciate prayers for the spiritual warfare that I've been experiencing; that God would eqiup me and that I would be filled with Truths to combat all the lies. 

I can't believe that my time here is going so quickly. I have a short 5 days left which is unbelieveable. We will be sharing every day for the rest of the week which I'm super excited about and then having some beach time in the evening for a couple hours. I've been pretty terrible about taking pictures so hopefully I get tagged in lots of pictures when we all get back!


No comments:

Post a Comment